How to Make Your Tacoma a TRD Pro Clone - Toyota Parts Blog
The base Toyota Tacoma has many awesome characteristics: Reliable. Durable. Utilitarian. But if you want to turn your standard Tacoma into a TRD Pro clone – and upgrade it’s off-road ability – here’s what it takes.
What’s In The TRD Pro Package?
Toyota designed the TRD Pro Tacoma to be an honest to goodness off-roader animal, but without sacrificing much in the way of ride quality, handling, or reliability. On the original truck:
- Toyota went with a slight lift (about 2 inches), but did so with new front and rear springs that also feature increased travel. Shocks were tuned to match the new springs.
- A set of 16″ beadlock style TRD rims with BFGoodrich LT265/70R16 A/T tires
- A TRD exhaust
- Unique styling
The heart and soul of this upgrade is the suspension system. While most after-market lift kits involve a compromise of some kind, the TRD suspension kit offers:
- More lift AND more travel – many after-market lift kits reduce travel
- Nearly identical suspension geometry, which means no worrying about premature CV joint wear or damage to key components while off-roading
- Near-stock ride and handling
Build Your Own TRD Pro (Mostly)
Assuming you’ve got a 2015 Tacoma Double Cab 4×4, here are the parts you need to make your truck into a TRD Pro (and our discounted price for each item):
|Part||Specs||Part Number||MSRP||Our Price|
|Wheel and Tire Package||
||PT746-35150||$699||$615.25 (per wheel)|
|Exhaust||Stainless Steel, Catback Exhaust Design with TRD Logo-Etched Tip||PTR31-35131||$495||$371.25|
|Exterior||TRD Grille that shows “TOYOTA” instead of emblem||PTR54-35150||$499||$374.25|
|Interior||TRD Shift Knob (slightly different from TRD Pro knob)||PTR51-00110||$80||$60|
While there are some minor styling differences that you can’t really order online:
- A black “TRD PRO” external hard badge
- Black “TACOMA” badging on doors
The “guts” of the TRD Pro package can be added to any Tacoma for $5,137.10. Considering that a new 2015 TRD Pro packaged truck had an MSRP of $35,525 (at the very least), building your own TRD Pro Taco is a decent value.
Not to mention, wheels and tires are half the cost of the package. If you’ve already got a good set of wheels, a tire upgrade is all you need.