Oil and fuel filler caps are simple parts. Yet, they're important because:
- They keep oil or fuel from seeping out
- They keep dust and debris out of the engine
That’s why it’s important to be aware of what filler caps are and how to identify a bad one. This buyer’s guide has all the information you need about oil and fuel filler caps in one place.
What Is An Oil Filler Cap?
The oil filler cap is the cap you remove when you pour motor oil into your car. If you open the hood, you’ll likely find the oil filler cap on the driver’s side of the engine bay. This post explains what oil filler caps are in more detail.
Is Smoke Coming Out Of Your Oil Filler Cap?
Have you noticed smoke coming out of your oil filler cap? Are you concerned? If your answer to both questions is “yes”, you may benefit from this guide. The guide:
- Helps you figure out if the smoke coming out of the oil filler cap is a cause for concern
- Explains how exhaust leakage happens and how it causes smoke to come out of the oil filler cap
- Explains how to fix the issue
When To Replace A Toyota Filler Cap
If your oil or fuel filler cap goes bad, you’ll experience some symptoms like:
- Oil/gas seepage
- Reduced fuel economy
- Reduced engine performance
- Check engine light
You want to have an oil filler cap that’s in good shape at all times. This helps protect your engine. If you’re not sure if your oil filler cap is bad, this diagnostic guide will help you.
If you’re not sure whether your gas filler cap is bad, the guide will help you too. It lists the symptoms of a bad gas filler cap. It’ll also show you how to inspect it for damage.
OEM Vs. Aftermarket Toyota Filler Caps
If you have a bad oil or gas filler cap that needs replacing, you may be thinking about getting an aftermarket replacement cap. This comparison guide says that it’s a bad idea. OEM filler caps are the much safer option because:
- OEM filler caps always come with the right dimensions
- OEM filler caps are made with high quality materials
- Aftermarket filler caps can make the check engine light come on
- Aftermarket filler caps can cause your Toyota to fail emissions
Do you have any questions about oil or gas filler caps that weren’t answered in this guide? Feel free to contact us!