Do you need to replace the exhaust system on your Toyota? Or are you just looking to upgrade your exhaust system? If your answer to either question is yes, you came to the right place. We put together answers to the most common questions and concerns about replacing a Toyota exhaust system.
What Causes Backfire From An Exhaust Pipe?
If you are hearing backfiring from the exhaust, you may be wondering if there’s an issue with the exhaust system. The answer is no. It’s most likely an issue with the engine. Some of the most common causes of backfiring include:
- Bent valve(s)
- Vacuum leak
- Engine running rich or lean
- Bad engine valve timing
- Faulty sensor(s)
- Bad spark plugs
- Cracked distributor cap (on older vehicles)
It doesn't mean that your exhaust system is safe, though. The constant backfiring may end up damaging the exhaust system. So it's always a good idea to find out the root of the problem and get it fixed ASAP.
For more information, check out this post: What Causes Backfire From An Exhaust Pipe?
How To Make Your Exhaust Louder
Are you looking to give your Toyota a louder, throatier sound? There are several ways to do that:
- Drilling holes into the muffler
- Deleting the exhaust
- Installing resonator exhaust tips
- Installing a new muffler
- Installing a new exhaust system
This post explains each option in more detail: How Do You Make Exhaust Louder?
Some of these methods are better than others. If you ask us, upgrading to an OEM TRD muffler or exhaust system is the best and safest way to get a better sound from your exhaust.
2 Ways To Replace Or Upgrade Your Exhaust System
Have you decided to replace or upgrade your exhaust system? If so, you have two good options:
- Buy a cat back exhaust system and then install it yourself: Most cat back exhaust systems are bolt-on applications. If you get an OEM TRD cat back system, you won’t have to worry about any quality or fitment issues. You would only need basic tools to install it on your Toyota. The job will take only a couple of hours.
- Hire a muffler shop to fabricate a new exhaust system for your Toyota: It’s the much more expensive option. A good muffler shop will create a quality, good fitting exhaust system. But there’s the possibility that you’ll end up with a technician or a shop that doesn’t know what they’re doing. In that case, you’ll probably run into performance or fitment issues.
This post discusses the pros and cons of each option: How To Get Your Toyota Exhaust Replaced Or Upgraded
OEM Vs. Aftermarket Exhaust Pipes
Have you decided to install a cat back exhaust system? The next question to ask yourself is, “Should I get an OEM or aftermarket exhaust system?”
This comparison guide may help you answer that question: Are Aftermarket Exhaust Pipes Worth It?
To sum it up, aftermarket exhaust pipes can be worth it, but they come with some trade offs. For instance:
- Some aftermarket exhausts can be too loud
- Some aftermarket exhausts don’t meet emissions standards
- Some aftermarket exhausts can reduce your car’s performance
- Some aftermarket exhausts aren’t built well
- Some aftermarket exhausts don’t come with a warranty
OEM TRD exhausts don’t have any of the above issues. That makes OEM exhausts the much safer choice.