How To Replace A Toyota Headlight
A busted headlight can be pretty dangerous. It decreases visibility at night and in foggy conditions. And it makes it much harder for others to see you. To make your Toyota safe to drive again, replace the headlight assembly as soon as possible. Skip the shop and replace the headlight assembly at home with this tutorial.
Is It Against The Law To Drive With A Broken Headlight?
Technically, yes. All states require you to have your headlights on between 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunset. Some states will issue you a ticket for a broken headlight. In most cases, the judge will dismiss the ticket if the headlight has been restored to good working order.
Either way, it's smart to replace the broken headlight assembly as soon as possible.
Are You A Novice? Here Are Some Tips
Replacing a headlight can be pretty challenging. But it’s still doable for an inexperienced person. Here are a few tips:
- Take photos during the removal process. This way, you'll have pictures to refer to if you're not sure where a part is supposed to go while installing the new assembly.
- Don't rush through the process. It's important to do everything right.
- Gather all the tools you need first. This way, you'll finish the job much faster.
Tools To Get First
Before replacing the headlight on your Toyota, be sure to have the following tools on hand:
- 10mm socket
- Replacement headlight assembly (get a genuine OEM replacement headlight from us at wholesale pricing!)
- Flat blade screwdriver
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Circlip pliers
Replacing The Headlight: The Steps To Take
We based this set of instructions on the Toyota Camry. You can try to follow it with another model but expect some variations or you can check out the links at the bottom of the page.
- Open the hood and then prop it up.
- Inside the engine bay, on top of the grille, there are many body clips. Remove them all.
- Pull up the cover and then set it aside.
- There are three more body clips underneath where the cover used to be. Remove them all.
- Lift the front of the vehicle and then prop it up with jack stands.
- There are a few 10mm bolts holding the undercarriage splash shield in place. Remove them all.
- Disconnect the fog lamp. You'll find the harness as soon as you remove the splash shield.
- Move to the fender well (on the side of the busted headlight assembly). Remove the screws holding the fender liner in place.
- Remove the fender liner and then set it aside.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Gently pull the front bumper off.
- There are three body clips holding the headlight assembly in place. There are two on top, and one on the side. Remove them all.
- Remove all the bolts holding the headlight assembly in place. Don't forget to look underneath the assembly.
- Disconnect all the wires from the headlight assembly.
- Install the new headlight assembly in the reverse order of removal.
Got any questions about the replacement process? Please get in touch with us!
More Headlight Replacement Tutorials
Toyota Avalon Headlight And Taillight Replacement Guide
Toyota Corolla Headlight And Taillight Replacement Guide
Toyota FJ Cruiser Maintenance - Headlight Bulb Change And Assembly Removal
Toyota Sequoia Maintenace - Headlight Bulb/Assembly Replacement
Toyota Tacoma Maintenance - Change Headlight Bulbs