Does your Toyota Avalon have burned out headlight? Are the taillights not working? Not a big problem. They are pretty simple to change. Here is how to replace your headlight and taillights.
In order to change your headlights, you will need to pop the hood and locate the headlight assembly behind the headlights. Toyota has made various changes over the years, here is a general guide on how to replace all the Avalon models headlights:
- First, locate the headlight housing by opening the hood.
- Look for any bracing that prevents you from removing the lights. Remove these braces.
- Next, find and trace wires that come from the headlight housing. There is normally a tab that keeps them connected, find this tab and disconnect the lights.
- The wires connect to the bulb. Find the plastic housing and twist to remove the bulb.
- Carefully replace the bulb by matching up the slot where the old one came out from.
- Insert the headlight housing back and twist the bulb back tight.
Now that you have replaced the bulb, it is always a good idea to check your alignment as well.
Here is just one of many ways to check the alignment.
- First, park the Avalon approximately 20 feet away from a dark, vertical board or a garage door. Also, make sure it is on a relatively level surface. Lastly, push down on both sides of the car to make sure the suspension “resets.”
- Next, measure the distance from the ground to the headlight. Either draw or mark with masking tape a horizontal line across the board and/or garage door.
- Then, measure the distance between your headlights and mark that point.
- Turns on your headlights. Then, using the adjustment screws on the headlight assembly, adjust the lights until they shine on the masking tape and are an equal distance apart.
The rule of thumb is that you want your headlights to shine below center and off to the right a bit.
In order to replace your taillights, the first step is to make sure you know which one is out. Often this means, someone told you or you will need someone to stand behind you while you turn on the lights and/or tap the brakes. Then, it is an easy process of buying the right bulb and replacing it.
- Locate the taillight bulb housing.
- Trace the wires to right bulb.
- Remove the bulb and swap it out.
Hopefully, this guide solved your head/tail light bulb issue. If you have any additional questions, let us know.