Toyota Yaris Maintenace - Change Brake Pads
Are your brakes squealing or grinding in your Toyota Yaris? Do you feel like it is harder to stop your car? Change out the old brakes by following this guide.
If your brakes aren’t working well as you want or its time to change them, don’t delay. The longer you wait the worse the brakes can become which puts your safety at risk. Luckily changing the brake pads is a pretty easy process.
Before you begin this job make sure you acquire all the tools needed to do this job including:
- Jack Stands
- Assortment of wrenches
- Socket drivers and sockets
- Brake parts cleaner
Also, you can purchase high-quality, OEM replacement brake pads here.
In order to change the brakes pads, follow these steps:
- First, loosen the lug nuts on the tires you want to work on.
- Next, if you are working on the front brakes, engage the emergency brake.
- Then, lift the Yaris into the air using a jack and secure it with jack stands.
- With the Yaris raised, remove the tires you want to work on.
- Find the caliper and the brake assembly. Carefully remove the bolts holding the on caliper making sure you don’t pinch the brake fluid line. Hang or suspend the caliper in the air by using a coat hanger or other item.
- Next, find the brake pads and swap them out applying brake parts cleaner to the pads. This will help them to not squeak
- With the new brake pads installed, it is time to compress the caliper and put it back on. There are several ways to compress it by using a special tool or a c-clamp. The c-clamp method requires you to use an old brake pad. You will place the brake pad on the inside of the caliper and use the c-clamp to compress it flat.
- Tighten down all the bolts and replace the tires.
- After you have lowered the car, you will need to depress the brake pedal several times to reset it. Typically, the brake will be “soft” after replacement. Pumping the brake restores the pressure and makes it “hard.”
The rear brakes are similar to the front except you can’t engage the emergency brake to replace them.