Even though you don't use your windshield wipers all the time, it's still important to maintain them. Windshield wiper blades should be replaced every 6 months to a year. Since they play a big part in visibility when it's raining or snowing outside, bad windshield wiper blades can really hinder your safety on the road.
So if you notice signs that your windshield wiper blades have gone bad, do your future self a favor and check them before it rains or snows again. Read on to find out how you can visually inspect your windshield wiper blades.
The #1 Sign of Bad Wiper Blades
When your windshield wiper blades go bad, you won't know until the next time you turn them on while driving in rainy or snowy weather. If the wipers cease to function normally and start to do the following, there's a good chance that they've gone bad:
- Leaving streaks
- Making squeaking or chattering noises
The best way to determine whether your windshield wiper blades need to be replaced is to visually inspect them.
How to Visually Inspect Your Wiper Blades
Visually inspecting your wiper blades takes no more than 5 minutes. To do this:
- Pull the wiper blade away from the windshield.
- Look for lengthwise cracks in the rubber blade. Also look at the edge of the blade. A new blade will have a sharp corner on the part of the blade that drags across the windshield. The corner will be rounded and nicked up on a worn blade.
- Repeat with the other wiper blade.
The rubber on windshield wiper blades is not meant to last forever. It will eventually degrade. Sunlight, ice, and snow will accelerate the degradation.
What if the Wiper Blades Look Fine?
It's possible that the wiper blade itself is fine, but there's another issue that's causing the blades to not work properly. For example:
- You could be out of wiper fluid.
- The wiper jets could not be working properly.
- The wiper motor could be broken (if the wipers aren't moving at all)
- There's a loose wiper blade bolt that causes the wiper blade to move erratically.
Replacing the Wiper Blades
It's so easy to replace the wiper blades. In fact, the hardest part is finding replacement blades. We make it easy for you. As authorized sellers of genuine OEM Toyota parts, we have a huge catalog of OEM Toyota wiper blades at wholesale prices. Look up your Toyota model in the catalog to find the right windshield wiper blades for your car!
Written by Jason Lancaster