Scion tC Power Door Lock Failure Guide
Having trouble with the door locks in you Scion tC? Hitting the buttons doesn’t work anymore? Here is a guide to help diagnose and fix the problem.
When trying to fix this issue, the first step is to figure out what exactly is not working. It is just your driver’s side door or is just your key fob. When you have it narrowed down, find the correct section below.
Remote Fails, Door Button Works
If you key fob isn’t unlocking the doors, but the button on the door is, you have a bad battery. Each key fob has a small battery inside of it and they are pretty easy to replace.
- First, grasp both sides of the key fob and carefully pop off the back.
- Looking at the inside of the key fob, you will see a small battery.
- Replace that battery and you’re all set.
Single Door Doesn’t Lock/Unlock
With one door not working, it is a lot easier to narrow down the problem. In this case, the culprit is typically a bad actuator motor. This motor powers the locking mechanism and is located inside the door. Quite often, this motor dies over time and you will hear a buzzing sound. In order to replace the actuator, follow these general steps:
- First, order a replacement part from your local Toyota dealer or through parts.olathetoyota.com.
- Remove the door panel by finding screws in the door and arm rest. Also, check for screws inside the speaker.
- As you remove the door panel, you will need to unlatch an electrical connection to the door locks and the door.
- Once the door panel is removed, carefully peel back the shroud covering the interior components.
- With the replacement piece in hand, match it up with the old motor usually located under the door lock rod.
- Looking at how the old motor is secured and attached to the locking mechanism, carefully remove and replace it.
- Reverse these instructions to put the door back on.
The door actuator going bad is a pretty common maintenance item with cars. It is just a wear and tear item.
All Doors/Multiple Doors Fail to Lock/Unlock
If you have multiple doors or all doors failing to lock/unlock with the key fob AND the interior door locks, it is most likely a larger electrical issue. It is time to bring it in for repair.