What To Do When The Check Engine Light Turns On - Toyota Parts Blog
If you’re unfamiliar with the mystery behind the check engine light, here is what you need to know. The check engine light …
- Turns on when your car’s computer senses a problem with the vehicle’s emission system.
- Was mandated in all vehicles after a 1981 Federal Law involving vehicle emissions.
- Causes many headaches for car owners across the country.
If you want to avoid the headaches, here is what you need to keep in mind when the check engine light turns on.
- If your check engine light turns on, take your vehicle to a mechanic when you have time. There, they can hook it up to a computer. The computer will run a diagnostic test to determine the problem.
- If your check engine light is flashing, this means it’s a severe problem and you should take your vehicle immediately to a mechanic.
- The check engine light could mean one of several problems including a cylinder misfire, a knock sensor circuit malfunction, insufficient exhaust gas recirculation, etc.
Understanding your vehicle’s check engine light will help alleviate a lot of stress. Remember, if any repairs need to be done, make sure that you use genuine Toyota parts. This will help keep your vehicle in good shape and on the road longer.