Which Toyota Models Are Most Likely To Be Stolen?
Did you know that, in the United States, a car is stolen every 45 seconds?
Every year, the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) releases an updated Hot Wheels report, which is a list of the top 10 stolen vehicles for the previous year. Two Toyotas are almost always on the list, and they are:
1. The Toyota Camry
Photo credit: Toyota
Calling all Camry owners! Not only was the Toyota Camry the fifth most stolen vehicle in the United States in 2015, but also it’s on the Hot Wheels list every year. You might want to beef up the security system for your car. We’re going to show you how later in this post.
According to the NICB's report, 15,466 2014 Camrys were stolen in 2015. That’s over 42 Camrys a day! Brand new (2015) Camrys weren’t immune to theft either. Three or four of them went missing each day.
2. The Toyota Corolla
Photo credit: Toyota
Placing seventh on the 2016 Hot Wheels List is the Toyota Corolla. It doesn’t show up on the Hot Wheels list every year, but it’s usually there.
In 2015, a total of 10,547 2014 Corollas were stolen in the United States. That’s about 29 Corolla thefts a day. Additionally, about two 2015 Corollas were stolen per day.
What About Other Toyotas?
Of course, thieves target other Toyotas, too. The next most stolen Toyota in 2015 was the 2003 Tacoma, but only 86 thefts were reported to the NICB. Also targeted in 2015 were the:
- 1997 Toyota 4Runner: 45 disappearances in 2015
- 2000 Toyota Avalon: 18 disappearances in 2015
These stats are nothing compared to those of the Camry and the Corolla, though. These two cars are the most targeted Toyotas in the U.S. for several reasons:
- They’re two of the best selling cars in America, so the chances of seeing a Camry or Corolla in a parking lot are greater than seeing any other Toyota model.
- Neither car is easy to identify. If a person witnesses a Corolla robbery, chances are s/he won’t be able to correctly identify the model to the police and will describe the vehicle as a “white four-door sedan”. Thieves know and take advantage of this.
- There’s a high demand for Camry and Corolla parts, which are interchangeable over multiple model years.
If you own a Camry or Corolla, we have your back! Follow these anti-theft tips to keep your car safe:
- Install a complete security system with several different alarm functions. (Part No. PT398-03122)
- Always keep your doors and sunroof locked, even while driving. Also, roll up your windows when you’re sitting in traffic or parked somewhere for an extended amount of time.
- Park in monitored and well-lit areas.
- Adorn one of your windows with an anti-theft warning label. (Part No. 74515-08010)
- Always keep your keys with you. That means never leaving your car running unattended.
- Install a tracking device in your car to make it easy for the police to find it if it’s stolen.
- If you have to transport valuables, hide them really well. Organize everything with a cargo net hammock and keep it covered. (Part No. 58299-AA010)
- Leave your car title at home - it's the last thing you want a car thief to have!
- Install an anti-theft device such as a steering wheel lock.
- Install an ignition kill switch or a fuel cutoff device.
- Stay out of dangerous neighborhoods.
- Cover the VIN on the dashboard. Some thieves will look at a car’s VIN to order a new car key.
- Etch your VIN on major parts to make them difficult for thieves to sell.
Do you have any other anti-theft tips? Share them on Facebook!