Is your Toyota Corolla due for an oil change? Want to tackle it yourself? Here is how to do it.
- Oil collection pan
- 4 Quarts of oil
- Oil filter
Also, there is some debate about how often you should change your oil. In the past, it was always 3 months or 3,000 miles. Toyota says to change the oil 6 months/5,000 miles unless it is 0W-20 synthetic oil. Then, it is 1 year/10,000 miles. Whichever side of the argument you fall on, it is important to be consistent.
Oil Change Process
In order to change the oil, follow these steps:
- Climb under the Corolla and locate the drain oil plug. This sits below the engine.
- Slide the oil collection pan under the drain plug. Using a 14-mm socket and socket wrench loosen the drain plug.
- Oil should start draining from the engine and you can fully loosen and remove the plug to speed the process.
- Once the oil is done, you will need to locate the oil filter.
- Using an oil filter socket and socket wrench or removal tool, remove the oil filter.
- Empty the oil from the filter into the pan and wait for any additional oil to finish draining.
- Using a rag, wipe around the oil filter fitting on the engine block.
- Next, grab a clean rag and apply some new oil on it. Using this oil, wipe around the edges of the new oil filter.
- Install the new oil filter by reversing the removal instructions.
- Insert the drain plug back in and tighten it down being careful to not over tighten it.
- Open the hood and find the oil cap on top of the engine. Pour in 3.5 to 4 quarts of new oil. Take your time adding new oil to avoid making a mess and/or overfilling it.
- After filling it up, check the dipstick to make sure you have the proper amount of oil.
Lastly, you will want to reset the maintenance light. In order to do that, turn the key to ACC, or accessory. Set your odometer on mileage, not trip, then turn off the key. Now press and hold the button you use to switch to trip, then turn they key back to ACC. The light should blink while you are holding the button down.
That’s it. Your oil change is complete.