Toyota Tacoma 2020-2021 Grille Swap
A grille swap is a quick and easy customization for your Toyota Tacoma. Maybe your existing grille is damaged, or you just want to upgrade your stock grille. The Tacoma TRD Pro grille is a popular upgrade that will give your truck a more sporty and rugged appearance.
It’s important to know if your Tacoma is equipped with Toyota Safety Sense (TSS). There will be a wired sensor mounted behind the existing grille emblem. If equipped, a garnish insert part and more replacement time will be needed.
About the Tacoma TRD Pro Grille
- Replacement grille insert is a direct fit.
- No painting is required.
- Toyota letting comes preinstalled on the grille.
- No extra installation hardware is needed.
- A garnish insert is required for Tacomas equipped with a TSS sensor.
Parts You Will Need
- PT228-35200-AA TRD Pro Grille Insert
- 53141-35060 Grille Sensor Garnish (if equipped with a TSS sensor)
Tools You Will Need
- Ratchet and Extension
- 10mm Socket
- Flat Blade Screwdriver
- Phillips Head Screwdriver
- Automotive Trim Tool
How to Swap Your Tacoma Grille
Image Credit: TacomaWorld
- Locate and remove the (2) 10mm bolts at the top of the grille with a ratchet, extension, and 10mm socket.
- Locate the black push clips on the grille beside the left and right headlamps. Release and remove the clips with the flat blade screwdriver.
- If equipped with TSS, disengage the wiring harness clip from the top of the grille where the top right bolt was removed. Unplug the sensor harness at the same location.
- Gently lift up along the top edge of the grille to release the white plastic grommets.
- Firmly pull along the bottom edge of the grille to disengage the clips.
- Remove the grille and lay it face down on a clean workbench. If you have TSS, proceed to step 7. If you do not have TSS, proceed to step 10.
- Locate the wiring harness clips for the TSS sensor and pry them loose with a trim tool. Important: Mark the location of the harness clips for reinstallation later.
- Remove the (2) 10mm bolts and (1) Phillips head screw from the TSS sensor.
- Set aside the TSS sensor and harness.
- Locate the (8) screws around the perimeter of the existing grille insert. Remove the screws with a Phillips head screwdriver. Note: These screws will not be needed for the TRD Pro grille insert.
- Release the multiple locking tabs around the perimeter of the grille insert. Press in each tab lock while gently pulling the grille insert away from the grille frame.
- Set aside the old grille insert and lay the grille frame face up.
- Hold the new grille insert and align the locking tabs with the holes in the grille frame. Gently press the grille insert into the grille frame until all the tabs lock into place. If you have TSS, proceed to step 14. If you do not have TSS, proceed to step 20.
- Turn the grille over face down on a clean workbench.
- Locate the existing garnish over the sensor mounting location in the center of the grille. Release the locking tabs and remove the garnish.
- Install the new sensor garnish. Align the locking tabs with the holes in the grille and press in the garnish until the tabs lock in place.
- Transfer the (2) threaded metal inserts for the TSS sensor from the old grille to the new grille. Note: The inserts slide in and out on notches in the grille.
- Reinstall the TSS sensor and harness to the new grille insert. Position the sensor on the alignment pins and reinstall the (2) 10mm bolts and (1) Phillips head screw.
- Reinstall the harness clips to the original locations on the grille (marked in step 7).
- Hold the grille assembly in position on the truck and align the tabs along the bottom. Gently push in the grille until the tabs lock into place.
- Position the top of the grille over the white plastic grommets.
- Reinstall the black push clip at each side of the grille by the headlamps.
- Reinstall the (2) 10mm bolts at the top of the grille.
- (TSS only) Reconnect the TSS sensor and harness clip at the top right side of the grille.
Enjoy the appearance of your new Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro grille!
Learn more about other cool mods to personalize your Toyota Tacoma in this blog post.
Learn more about maintaining and customizing your Toyota Tacoma in this blog post.