It is the water pump that keeps the engine running coolly in your 2008 through 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. By consistently circulating water throughout your engine compartment, you help eliminate the chance of overheating and blowing gaskets or hoses. A water pump is a wear and tear item, so it may need to be replaced during the lifetime of your Highlander.
Before you begin the water pump replacement, disconnect the negative battery cable to avoid getting a shock. You can use a screwdriver to remove the cable.
Apply the parking brake and place chocks behind the rear wheels before you jack your Highlander up. Make sure that you are parked on a level, dry surface, and that you use the proper jack and jack stands for your Highlander.
- Take a drain pan and put it under the radiator. Make sure your engine is cool before you begin, and then unscrew the cap to the radiator and remove the plug under the radiator in order to allow the fluid to drain out.
- Remove the water pump pulley and the alternator in order to reach the water pump.
- Remove the retaining bolts and take the water pump off. Be sure to get the old gasket off that is between the water pump and the engine.
- Put the new water pump on the mount, and hold both the water pump and the gasket while you secure it with the bolts. You do not need any sealant for this gasket. Tighten the bolts to 80 pounds inch with a torque wrench.
- Replace the alternator and the pulley. If you removed any other components, replace them as well. The bolts on the pulley need to be tightened to 19 pounds per foot.
- Place the drain plug back into the bottom of the radiator and fill it back up with coolant.
- Carefully bring your 2008 – 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid back down to a level surface.
- Reattach the battery cable and tighten it back on the battery.
Start your vehicle and check for any leaks.
Be sure and clean up anything that you may have spilled.
If you need to replace the water pump in your 2008 through 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, you need OEM part number 16100-29085. You will find that water pump here. https://parts.olathetoyota.com/16100-29085