Toyota Prius 2009 and Older Disable Reverse Beep
One of the safety features of the North American version of the Toyota Prius (2009 and older) is for a beep to sound inside the cabin when the vehicle is in reverse. If you find this annoying, don’t fret it can be disabled. Here’s how.
- Turn the car on and press the trip/odometer button until “ODO” appears on the dashboard.
- Once you have the “ODO” displayed, turn the car off.
- Put your foot on the brake and then restart the car.
- Quickly press and hold the trip/odometer button within six seconds of turning on the car. You will need to continue holding this button for at least 10 seconds.
- Next, while still holding down the button, shift the car into reverse and then quickly press the park button. You can now release the trip/odometer button.
- If you followed these steps correctly, you should see a “b on” instead of miles on the trip/odometer display.
- Press the trip/odometer button, this should cause the display to show “b off.”
- You can now turn the car off. The next time you put the Prius into reverse, the sound should be off.
NOTE: This procedure only works on US versions and not others.
Congrats, you have successfully disabled this safety feature.