6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Tires - Toyota Parts Blog
If you want to extend the life of your tires and save money, you need to follow these six tips below.
1. Ask For Tires With Hard Rubber: Some tires use a soft adhesive compound that helps with handling, but wears down quicker than other types of tires. When talking with a mechanic, check to make sure that you purchase a set of tires with harder rubber.
2. Check Tire Pressure: This is very important. Try to check the pressure in your tires at least once a month. Having your tires inflated to the proper psi will help extend the life of your tires. According to Drivers Magazine, running your tires at 20 percent below the recommended pressure reduces tire mileage by 16 percent. This also hurts gas mileage.
3. Rotate Tires: If you want to extend the life of your tires, you need to rotate your tires. Your front and back tires wear differently. By rotating them, you help to extend the life of your tires.
4. Slow Down: Speed affects tire wear. That’s one of the many reasons racing teams burn through so many tires during a race. Stick to the posted speed limits, and you’ll get more out of your tires.
5. Get Alignments: Making sure that your wheels are properly aligned will ensure that you get more life out of your tires. If your wheels are not properly aligned, your tires will wear out faster.
6. Read Your Tire Tread: Simply looking at your tires and tread can tell if you need to rotate your tires or if an alignment needs to be done. This tire tread reader tool is a great resource to help you diagnose your tire problems.
If you follow these six tips, you’ll extend the life of your tires! How often do you check the pressure in your tires? Leave your comments below.